Monday, 31. August 2009
Damon is probably going to be upset with that headline.
He played at Oregon, and I think he’s a Duck at heart. But, right now, he’s a coach at Boise State.
This is the second Q&A for DG, but my goal for this season was to try and have the Q&As relate to the game of the week. (I am already at a loss for Week 2 when Oregon plays Purdue, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know).
I asked him all new questions, and tried to get some sort of scoop.
It didn’t work. The Broncos are 64-2 on the blue turf since 1999. He dodged my question about how to cope with the blue, so there must be some sort of advantage that they use. Seriously, that is an insane stat.
Kirk Herbstreit gave the advantage to Boise State. But, he’s a pretty boy so his vote doesn’t count.
I can’t believe it’s game week. I live for college football season and am really excited to see what Chip Kelly brings to the table this season. I am planning to utilize my twitter during the games, which will be a new thing. I am sure I will regret that seeing as I tend to pop off pretty easily.
1. Describe your thoughts heading into the first game? What is it like to coach against your alma mater where you have such fond memories? Honestly my thoughts are all over the place. I never been against the Ducks. I break it down like this: I will always be a Duck, but I’m married to the Broncos right now. And my father always told me a happy wife is a happy home.
2. Be honest. What color clothing will your daughters be wearing at the game? Honestly, it better be PJ’s. My two-year-old is too crazy to sit down for longer than 5 minutes. So we dont take her to the games.
3. How do you protect your eyes from staring at blue turf all year? Do you have special shades? I see what you are doing Allison, and it’s not going to work. But I like your style.
4. Can you give us Duckies a little sneak peak of your game plan? Maybe just the first 15 plays? Damn you are good. Well not sure if you know this, but I’m on the defensive side as a GA helping Justin Wilcox. I would assume the plan is to not let the very powerful Oregon offense score too many touchdown in those 15 plays.
5. Where is the (most likely) Duck friendly bar where we can celebrate our win? Right now probably my house is the friendliest. I’ve been so busy helping and trying to figure out how in the hell are we going to stop Masoli and Le Blount that we just drink ourselves to sleep in the office. So I don’t really know the bar scene yet.
6. Let’s talk about your time at Oregon. Can you recall a funny on-field moment that has stuck with you? Does that crazy hippie guy still slam the opposing teams mascot doll on the ground as the crowd counts the points? I don’t remember who we were playing but we scored like 60 on somebody and that dude was everywhere. First of all, where is the security? Second, he shouldn’t be allowed in the beer garden, that’s for sure. We always just laughed at the dude as he would go crazy slamming the doll.
7. Do you prefer Bellotti with ‘stache or without ‘stache? With Stache. I don’t know what it is, but unless you can’t grow a stache, I have a problem trusting you. Every man should have a stache!
8. Do you keep in touch with your former teammates? What do they say to you leading up to the season-opener? I keep up with a lot of guys. I just talked to Kenny Wheaton and I was trying to get him tickets, but I’m a GA and I only get two tickets, so you know those are gone. Mostly, the question is how do you feel about coaching against the Ducks, and its the same answer: “very uncomfortable”. And if the Broncos are for real, and I say, ‘well you saw what happen last year’, then they are a better team than last year. So it should be a good game.
9. Talk about your life after college? What have you been doing leading up to your current position at Boise State? Having two beautiful punk-ass lil girls. I say that because I can’t believe how beautiful they are and how they have me wrapped around their fingers even though they can’t talk yet. It’s really going to suck in the future! But, I wouldn’t change it for the world. Career-wise, I got my masters and am planning to become a Division-1 football coach in the near future.
10. What is your guilty pleasure television show? The Baby First channel because I’ve only seen my 4-month old for three weeks, and it if my baby girls are up, I know they are watching that show.